Thursday, January 1, 2015

2015: The Three D's

Firstly, Happy New Year!

I have a confession to make. I hate New Years Eve. I've never seen the appeal of staying up till midnight to see a new year in. I'm sure I did when I was younger (but I can't remember back that far) and I'm sure I had a great time. But not one New Years Eve stands out as an awesome, can-you-believe-this- is- happening, this-is-the-best-time-of-my-life night. Wait, I lie. I did spend one New Years Eve in London.

I was by myself, jet lagged and in bed watching terrible English TV by 9pm because my eyes refused to be open any longer. I woke up at 3am on New Years Day in my tiny hotel room that had funny shower handles, and said Happy New Year to myself and tried to get back to sleep. That is the only New Years Eve I really remember and despite being in one of my favourite cities, it wasn't the New Years Eve part that was exciting.

My point is, I hate New Years Eve, but I love New Years Day. New Years Day to me is like opening a new book and delving into a new story. It's all fresh and new and exciting and you don't know where it's going to go, but you hope it's a bloody good read.

 I'm not one for new years resolutions but this year I have created my own version of resolutions. Yesterday, I stuck a post it note on the side of my bed side table at eye level. It will be the first thing I see when I wake up. The post it note has three words: DREAM, DRIVE, DISCIPLINE.



These three words are my principles for 2015 (I have no aversion to the other 25 letters of the alphabet, my words just all happened to begin with the letter D). I have my goals, hopes and dreams and I hope this year they become fruitful and are applied to many aspects of my life, not just my creative one.

All three are important, but need to work together to pull anything off. I completed one dream last year from sheer hard work and discipline. I had the dream, I had the drive and I found the discipline and gave myself a deadline. I achieved it (and one week of 17 hour days) and I'm hoping (and praying) that my hard work will pay off this year. In the meantime my CADD (Creative Attention Deficit Disorder) is going into overdrive and I have written a list of projects to focus on, the blog being one of those.

So please raise your glass, and let's toast to 2015: The year our dreams become a reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment