Saturday, January 22, 2011

All's Fair In Love And War? Or Hell Hath No Fury Like A Woman Scorned?

I didn't want to blog about this. I wanted to ignore it and hope that it went away, but alas, it hasn't. I doubt the writers who I admire and wrote those immortal words above, ever thought about Twitter, Facebook, nude scandal photos, Federal court cases, studio apartments and disowning parents, but I find that the two quotes above fit this little scenario perfectly.

For those of you who don't live in Victoria, this story has probably not even made a ripple in your pond, but for Melbournians, it's an ongoing tidal wave.

What is now well known is that last year a young girl fell in love with an AFL footballer and when things didn't work out, she posted nude photographs of his teammates on her Facebook page and then the whole of Melbourne discovered her pain.

Their are several reasons I wanted to ignore this. One, I was undecided how I felt about the whole situation: do I feel sorry for her or the footballer? Sure, something unfortunate has happened here but is she really campaigning for women everywhere, or is she setting us back about 40 years? This post is not here to try and decide who was right and who was wrong, and two I felt the young girl in the middle of this saga is too young to fully comprehend what she's doing, but what I do want to ask is this: do you think Australia places their athletes on a pedestal? Can our footballers, no matter what code they play, do no wrong in our eyes? Boys will be boys sort of thing or are they victims of eager, unstable women?

For now, the girl is being looked after by the St Kilda football club, something that she claimed she wanted from the start: for them to acknowledge that she had been poorly treated, but should the club as a whole have to take responsibility or should the individual footballer and even the girl take responsibility for their actions?

I hope for her sake she can move on from this and come out stronger and wiser.

But what do you all think? Can situations like this be avoided in the future? Or till the end of time will we be hearing about  drunken athletes and a girl who has been taken advantage of? As always, I'm eager to hear your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment